Good day, and welcome to this Wednesday’s version of the Insider Tech e-newsletter, the place we break down the most important information in tech.
Did someone forward this newsletter to you? Get Insider Tech straight in your inbox by subscribing here
This week: Excellent news turns tech the wrong way up as Jeff Bezos appears to be like for brand spanking new pals
In just some days, the sunny land of tech has been jolted by a sequence of destabilizing forces. Simply as tech traders had been checking out the implications of a Biden presidency, Pfizer’s November surprise of a coronavirus vaccine turned every little thing the wrong way up.
- Yelp, whose enterprise is determined by folks going to eating places, noticed its inventory surge greater than 19% on Monday.
- Lyft, which presents ride-sharing however not meals deliveries, loved 26% pop in its share value.
Even when the celebrations of Pfizer’s vaccine outcomes show untimely (the outcomes are primarily based on an ongoing trial with plenty of unanswered questions), among the main tendencies and assumptions which have formed the tech market at the moment are in flux.
The European Commission’s antitrust charges against Amazon, filed on Tuesday, signify essentially the most important regulatory risk the ecommerce big has confronted in its 26 years.
- If Amazon loses the case, it might be fined 10% of its income, which might be about $28 billion. Extra vital, Jeff Bezos’ All the things Retailer might see its affect and energy in commerce severely constrained.
- With Amazon beneath risk in Europe, Bezos wants a pal: After years of clashing with Trump, Bezos rushed to congratulate Joe Biden on successful the election — however it’s by no means clear that Biden has the identical warm, fuzzy feelings for Bezos or Amazon. (The president-elect has blasted each for not paying sufficient in taxes.)
China’s resolution to put the kibosh on Ant Group’s $37 billion IPO presaged what seems to be a bigger clampdown by China on its homegrown tech firms.
- This week, China published draft antitrust guidelines geared toward reining in tech platforms like Alibaba, Tencent, and JD.com. It is a stunning flip of occasions given China’s historical past of defending its tech firms.
- What does it means for the continued US-China tech chilly warfare? If nothing else, China is now in a equally awkward place because the US, cracking down on its tech firms on the homefront whereas preventing for his or her pursuits overseas.
And Apple’s newly unveiled M1 microprocessors carry a symbolic energy that would resonate past the Mac computer systems that home them.
- Apple’s chip change underscores the shakeup taking place within the silicon business that powers all our devices and apps. Nvidia is about to acquire ARM. And for Intel, the one time king of the chip realm, there isn’t any extra denying the necessity for a company re-invention within the vein of Satya Nadella’s Microsoft reboot.
On the block: SoftBank is reportedly looking to sell Boston Dynamics, the maker of these four-legged robo-dogs.
On the transfer:
On lockdown: A former Microsoft engineer was sentence to 9 years in jail for stealing $10 million price of digital forex from the corporate. According to GeekWire, the Ukrainian-born engineer used a “bitcoin mixing service” to cowl his tracks — apparently not nicely sufficient.
Theme parks have seen business plunge throughout the pandemic, so it is no shock that Disney is raring to indicate off its newest points of interest.
However you must marvel if these new animatronic robots are one of the best ways to draw again cautious guests.
The nightmarish fellow pictured above belongs to the new generation of Disney’s animatronic robots, bearing all of the options of a human face similar to eyelids, nostril, and tooth with gums.
Disney says the robotic can mimic human-like actions similar to speedy eye actions, blinking, respiration, and tilting its head. Specifically, the robot’s gaze can convey various human-like emotions and non-verbal cues throughout interactions.
Presumably these robots may have a friendlier pores and skin protecting their mechanical skeletons once they’re let loose within the parks. Irrespective of how cuddly the ultimate model appears to be like, although, the robots’ lifelike traits would possibly strike some guests as creepy sufficient to make them marvel in the event that they purchased a ticket to Disney World or Westworld.
Consideration political information junkies:
Insider is launching a brand new morning e-newsletter referred to as 10 Things in Politics You Need to Know Today. Because the title suggests, the e-newsletter will deliver you a each day roundup of the highest information and evaluation from D.C. and past. Sign up here!
Really helpful Readings:
Leaked documents show Microsoft is pegging some employee bonuses to helping the Teams chat app ‘win against Zoom and WebEx in meetings’
How Intel went ‘off the rails,’ as rivals like AMD and Nvidia take advantage of its stumbles to chip away at the juggernaut’s dominance
Not essentially in tech:
OK then, that’ll do it for this week. Thanks for studying, and in case you like this article, tell your friends and colleagues they can sign up here to receive it.