A toddler requested me which was higher: Alexa, the voice contained in the Amazon Echo Dot, or Google Assistant, the voice contained in the Google House speaker, renamed “Google Nest.” Till just lately, I’d have stated Google Assistant.
That was earlier than I learn CNET’s “9 Issues Alexa Can Do That Google Can’t.” After all, proper after that, I learn “9 Issues Google Can Do That Alexa Can’t.”
Let’s begin with some Alexa variations. Alexa can play Apple Music as certainly one of many decisions; Google makes Apple music off limits. Alexa listens for burglars, alerting you if she hears glass breaking, an alarm going off and different sounds. (However you should activate “Guard” in “Settings.”) Additionally, Alexa can hear your whispers and whisper again.
OK, Google’s flip. Google solutions questions a lot better, even about Amazon merchandise. I requested it concerning the new Amazon Halo, a Fitbit-type wearable. It answered completely. Once I requested Alexa, she miffed it. One other factor I like about Google: It helps you to play music, podcasts, audio books, video and different audio on one other speaker or in your TV simply by asking aloud.
Now for some similarities: Once I tried the free Alexa app on a brand new telephone, it prompted me to arrange an emergency contact. It can contact this particular person subsequent time I say: “Alexa, name for assist.” However each Alexa and Google can name family and friends by identify, in the event that they’re in your contact record.
Enjoyable Fb Options
● “Favorites” is a brand new Fb characteristic. It places the individuals you care about on the high of your newsfeed. To search out it in your laptop, click on the down arrow within the higher proper and select “Information Feed Preferences.” Then click on “Favorites.”
● “Watch” exhibits you movies based mostly on what they suppose your tastes are. Once I clicked it, I noticed a man play a typewriter in an orchestra performing the novelty tune “The Typewriter.” I additionally noticed two guys performing “The Evolution of Piano.” However many of the movies on my record concerned animal rescues. Clearly, Fb has tagged me as a pal of the furry. You’ll find “Watch” on the left aspect of the Fb dwelling web page.
What to Do When Your Mac Freezes
The very first thing to do when your Mac freezes is to stroll away for a minute or two. It can make you are feeling higher. It might even make things better: The issue might be a single program. By giving the system a relaxation, it will get an opportunity to meet up with you.
One other factor you are able to do is press the “Command,” “Possibility,” and “Escape” keys. This brings up an choice known as “Pressure Give up,” providing you with an opportunity to close off any useful resource hogs. In the event you’re undecided who the offenders are, examine the “Exercise Monitor.” You’ll discover it below “Functions” and “Utilities.”
HowtoGeek.com has extra suggestions below the headline “What to do in case your Mac Freezes.”
For Severe Artists
In the event you don’t need to shell out $429 for the essential iPad and an Apple pencil to go along with it, think about an $80 Wacom Intuos pill. It comes with its personal pencil.
Utilizing a Wacom pill plugged into your laptop allows you to use a variety of artwork and picture packages, reminiscent of Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter or the free “Gimp.” With an iPad, you’re restricted to apps.
The results of digital paint are so reasonable now that artists can create masterpieces with out the fuss of paint, inserting particulars they’ve created earlier than. Why reinvent one other nostril when you’ve already obtained an important one to slug in?
Throughout set up, this system requested me whether or not I’d use it for 3D modeling, animation, illustration, comedian design, net design or different professional-sounding actions. I selected “inventive sketching.” It’s a bit intimidating, however the free “Gimp” program has some nice tutorials beginning at sq. one.
In the event you want drawing on an iPad, see CNET’s article, “The Greatest Apps for Drawing on an iPad.” They selected “Procreate,’ “Autodesk Sketchbook,” “Artwork Set 4,” and “Lake.”
Home windows Updates
Do you ever set up the “Replace Preview” in Home windows 10? If that’s the case, you’re serving to Microsoft by being a beta tester.
You may get to the Replace Preview when you click on “examine for updates” within the final half of the month. There’s at all times an opportunity it’d repair one thing in your machine, however consultants say it’s higher to stay with the steady model. Microsoft makes use of your expertise to subject bug reviews earlier than the common replace is prepared. The replace seems on the second Tuesday of the month.
● Poets.org: In the event you like love poems that rhyme, search at Poets.org for these written earlier than the Twenties. Higher but, do a Google search on “Love poems earlier than 1920.” Then search for an tackle with dot org in it, reminiscent of classicalpoets.org.
● Speedtest.internet, as so many readers jogged my memory, is the place to go to examine your web pace, not Speedtest.com. Thanks, guys.
Making Cash on Zoom
● “Luma,” free from the Zoom Market, helps you to promote tickets to your Zoom occasions.
● “OnZoom” additionally helps you to promote tickets and promote your occasions. If you want, you may join different individuals’s upcoming occasions, reminiscent of “Again to Fundamentals Breakfast Classics” and “The right way to Play the Ukulele.” Most are free.
● Whether or not utilizing OnZoom or Luma, you should have the paid model of Zoom, It’s $149 a yr.