Microsoft revealed a brand new characteristic that it known as Programmable Taskbar again in July when it launched Construct 20161 to the Home windows Insider Dev channel.
The fundamental thought behind the characteristic was to customise the default set of icons that’s displayed as a part of the working system’s out-of-box expertise.
Based mostly on a person’s exercise, e.g. whether or not an Android telephone is linked to the Microsoft Account or if the person has an Xbox Stay account, icons are added or faraway from the taskbar.
Microsoft believes that the characteristic offers its customers the content material that they need and makes the taskbar have much less muddle on high of that.
The characteristic is a part of Home windows 10 20H2 however not for units which can be upgraded from a earlier model. Current Microsoft clients who arrange a system anew could have the taskbar icons personalized based mostly on the account that they use to sign-in to the system.
Microsoft started to test a new Windows 10 device setup feature in October that will additionally present extra customization sooner or later based mostly on a person’s meant use for the system.
Disabling the Programmable Taskbar in Home windows 10
Home windows 10 directors could disable the Programmable Taskbar utilizing a brand new coverage known as “Flip off cloud optimized content material” or by modifying the Home windows Registry.
Utilizing the Group Coverage
Be aware: the Group Coverage shouldn’t be out there on Home windows 10 Dwelling techniques.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Home windows-R to open the runbox.
- Sort gpedit.msc and choose OK to start out the Group Coverage Editor. Be aware that it is advisable be signed-in as an administrator. If you’re not, maintain down Ctrl-key and Shift-key earlier than you choose OK to get the elevation immediate to sort the Admin password.
- Go to Pc Configuration > Administrative Templates > Home windows Parts > Cloud Content material when the Group Coverage Editor is open.
- Discover Flip off cloud optimized content material and double-click on the entry to show it absolutely.
- Set the coverage to Enabled to disable the performance.
- Choose OK and shut the Group Coverage Editor.
This coverage setting permits you to flip off cloud optimized content material in all Home windows experiences.
If you happen to allow this coverage, Home windows experiences that use the cloud optimized content material shopper part, will as a substitute current the default fallback content material.
If you happen to disable or don’t configure this coverage, Home windows experiences will be capable of use cloud optimized content material.
Modifying the Registry
Setting the coverage to enabled provides a Dword to the Registry. You may add the worth on to the Registry; it is usually the one possibility for Dwelling techniques to disable the performance.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Home windows-R to open the run field.
- Sort regedit.exe and choose OK to start out the Registry Editor.
- Verify the UAC immediate whether it is displayed.
- With the Registry Editor interface open, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsCloudContent.
- Be aware: some keys will not be out there but. If that’s the case, go to the final key that’s out there.
- Proper-click on the important thing and choose New > Key.
- Title it accordingly, e.g. in case you are in SOFTWARE title it Insurance policies.
- Repeat the method till all keys can be found.
- Proper-click on CloudContent and choose New > Dword (32-bit) Worth.
- Title it DisableCloudOptimizedContent.
- Double-click on the newly created Dword and set its worth to 1.
- Press OK.
- Restart the PC.
As soon as the change has been utilized, new accounts will all the time get the default Taskbar format and never a customized format based mostly on linked units or providers.
Now You: What’s your tackle customizing the taskbar or different options based mostly on the person? (by way of Bleeping Computer)