Among Us does not have a narrative, however I am questioning: What are these rainbow astronauts as much as, anyway? Are they explorers, scientists, or one thing else? Aside from all of the getting killed and card-swiping, what are they making an attempt to perform with all of the duties they preserve doing?
Some duties have an apparent goal: upkeep. Folks want oxygen to dwell, so after all the Amongst Us crewmates have to wash out their spaceship’s O2 filters every now and then. Why are the O2 filters filled with leaves? That is a barely more durable query to reply, however it does not take a fantastic leap of logic to say: house timber. You’ll be able to see one on Polus.
The opposite Amongst Us duties make a sure type of sense, too. Add within the map trailers, official Amongst Us web site, and Steam DLC pages, and there are sufficient crumbs of data to place collectively a fundamental image of Amongst Us’s lore. Since nothing else vital is occurring at the moment, that is what I did.
First, let’s set up some fundamental details:
What do we all know in regards to the imposters?
- The imposters are shapeshifting, parasitic aliens. (The builders say so.)
- The imposters can see in the dead of night (after sabotaging the lights).
- The imposters both do not want oxygen or are prepared to sacrifice themselves to kill the crewmates. (They win in the event that they minimize off oxygen.)
- The imposters infiltrated the Skeld ship someday earlier than the crewmates went to MIRA HQ or the Polus analysis base. (Based on the DLC costume descriptions, we’re visiting Mira HQ and Polus with the hope that they’re freed from imposters.)
What do we all know in regards to the crewmates?
- All crewmates are 3’6″ and 92 lbs. (Based on the Submit Scan activity.)
- The crewmates work for a company known as MIRA. (Explored within the MIRA HQ map.)
- The crewmates are learning alien geology and lifeforms, in addition to mining. (The Add Knowledge and Course of Knowledge duties embody information comparable to specimen_data.tiff, minerals_data.dat, and mining_finances.png. Artifacts and samples seen in different duties embody bones, plant and animal fossils, and gems.)
- The crewmates wish to escape the imposters and “return again to civilization.” (From the official site.)
What else do we all know?
- The Skeld is a spaceship used to journey between MIRA HQ and the Polus analysis base, and perhaps elsewhere.
- Area is fairly populated. The Align Telescope activity on Polus reveals a spaceship and a Dyson sphere.
- The crew in all probability has a wholesome social life collectively. Except for geology, biology, and mining, the crewmate information embody a number of references to birthdays, muffins, and pineapples.
- The pc interface seen throughout the Course of Knowledge activity on MIRA HQ shows a crewmate working alongside a tree, flower, and mountain-lined street, suggesting a nostalgia for planetside civilization.
- Ghosts exist.
The crewmates: researchers, looters, or each?
Placing this all collectively, the scenario seems to be that the crew aboard the Skeld was attacked by alien shapeshifters on the best way to MIRA HQ or the Polus analysis base. It is not clear if the Skeld then unfold the alien imposters to MIRA HQ and Polus, or if all three places had been infested individually.
The crewmates, who’re identically brief, mild, and bean-shaped—siblings? genetically engineered?—are unusually devoted to their work. They refuse to cease sorting samples and aligning telescopes regardless of being hunted by parasitic alien shapeshifters, and even proceed their work within the afterlife. A number of crew members appear to be engaged on growing a pineapple upside-down birthday cake, however in any other case they’re geologists, biologists, and archeologists, and their work includes accumulating and analyzing alien artifacts and fossils. A part of their aim—the aim of MIRA, that’s—appears to be mining, however the artifacts and experiments recommend that they are searching for extra than simply worthwhile minerals…
Did the imposters assault the crewmates after they broke into an historical alien relic, the place they snatched a strong artifact? It is a slight stretch, however it looks like the perfect clarification given the proof we’ve got, with the artifact being the damaged crystal it’s a must to put again collectively within the Assemble Artifact activity.
Will we ever know for positive?
I am not the one one to surprise about Amongst Us lore, so you do not have to accept my principle if you happen to do not wish to. Earlier than scripting this I typed “Amongst Us fanfiction” into Google, and solely a idiot would’ve anticipated fewer than 24,400,000 outcomes. My private favourite: “Undertale however they’re enjoying Amongst Us.”
And perhaps we’ll study extra canon details in regards to the Amongst Us universe as developer Innersloth releases new updates and maps. The following map goes to be Henry Stickmin themed, and I admit I do not know a lot about Mr Stickmin’s life and occasions, however maybe it accommodates clues to the crewmate and imposters’ true story. Or perhaps it is only a technique to promote one of many developer’s earlier video games.