Apple introduced its new software program replace for Mac computer systems earlier this 12 months: macOS Big Sur. The replace will carry a bunch of adjustments to the Mac, from new instruments and options to a model new design.
Nonetheless, we haven’t heard something concerning the official launch of this replace. Massive Sur is meant to be coming this 12 months, however we haven’t heard a lot else. That’s, till just lately.
Apple’s subsequent occasion is scheduled for November 10th and the rumors counsel we would see the primary Apple Silicon Mac pc. If that’s true, we would additionally see the official launch of macOS Massive Sur.
This implies we nonetheless have time to prepared our Macs earlier than the Massive Sur replace. In contrast to updating your iPhone or iPad, your Mac takes a bit extra work to replace.
Certain, you possibly can simply press the replace button when Massive Sur comes. Greatest case situation, you replace with none points. However in the case of your Mac and the information it holds, it’s finest to take the required precautions.
Right here’s what that you must do earlier than updating your Mac to macOS Massive Sur.
Make Certain Your Mac Helps macOS Massive Sur
Happily, Massive Sur can be out there in all kinds of Mac computer systems, together with just a few older fashions. Listed below are all of the Macs that’ll assist the brand new replace:
- 2014 iMac or later fashions.
- All iMac Professional fashions.
- 2013 Mac Professional or later fashions.
- 2015 Macbook or later fashions.
- 2013 Macbook Air or later fashions.
- Late 2013 Macbook Professional or later fashions.
- 2014 Mac mini or later fashions.
In late 2012 and early 2013, Apple launched a brand new Macbook Professional lineup, which the corporate later up to date in late 2013. Be sure that, if in case you have a 2013 Macbook Professional, you’ve the late 2013 model.
Make a Backup of Your Mac
That is most likely one of the necessary steps on the record. No matter you do, it’s all the time suggested that you just do a backup on your Mac’s disk. Updates often go with none bother, nevertheless it’s all the time higher to be secure than sorry.
There are just a few methods to make a backup, however as we speak we’ll deal with utilizing Time Machine. Time Machine is an app in your Mac that allows you to make a backup on an external hard drive or any exterior drive with sufficient area to retailer a backup.
Right here’s how one can make a backup with Time Machine:
- Plug in your exterior onerous drive.
- Click on on the Apple Menu. That’s the Apple on the highest left nook of your display screen.
- Click on on System Preferences…
- Click on on Time Machine. It needs to be on the backside of the preferences.
- Click on on Choose Backup Disk. It might additionally say Choose Disk, Add or Take away Backup Disk.
- Choose your exterior drive.
- Click on on Use Disk.
- Begin your backup.
It’s doable that your Mac will ask you if you wish to use your exterior onerous drive to make a backup with Time Machine as quickly as you plug it in. If that’s the case, simply comply with click on Use as Backup Disk, and make the backup.
When you don’t have an exterior drive with sufficient storage to make a backup, you would possibly need to make a duplicate of your information and necessary data with any drive you’ve out there. It could take longer, however you’ll maintain your necessary information secure.
Make Certain That You Have Sufficient Storage
With the intention to replace your Mac, you’ll have to have sufficient storage to take action. Your Mac must have at the least 8 GB of free storage to put in macOS Massive Sur.
When you don’t have sufficient area, be certain that to delete outdated information or apps you already know you received’t use anymore. Additionally, you can too get suggestions to optimize your storage proper in your Mac. Simply comply with these steps:
- Click on on the Apple Menu on the highest left nook.
- Click on on About this Mac.
- Click on on the Storage tab. From the Storage tab, you possibly can see how a lot area you’ve out there.
- Click on on the Handle button.
You’ll see just a few suggestions to have extra storage out there, like emptying your trash can each 30 days, or to take away outdated Apple TV exhibits you’ve already watched. You too can delete apps and information from this window.
Preserve a Sturdy Web Connection
This step is perhaps a bit apparent, nevertheless it’s nonetheless an necessary one. Be sure you have a robust and steady web connection once you’re downloading Massive Sur.
Not solely it is going to make your obtain sooner, nevertheless it’ll additionally keep away from any points related to dropping a connection in the course of the set up. A shoddy web connection received’t kill your Mac, nevertheless it’s all the time higher to have a superb one.
Verify for Any Errors in Your Mac’s Disk
Typically, our disks may need tiny errors or issues with out us even realizing about them. That’s till it’s too late. Having your Mac’s disk error-free is an efficient suggestion earlier than you attempt to set up Massive Sur.
To examine for errors, we’ll use an app known as Disk Utility. This app will enable you scan your disk for errors and repair them. Right here’s the way you do it:
- Open up Disk Utility. It’s best to discover it in your App Library. You too can press Command + House Bar and seek for Disk Utility within the Highlight Search.
- Click on on View and choose Present all Units.
- It’s best to see now all of your out there disks and storage gadgets.
- Apple recommends you need to begin by scanning and repairing Volumes, then Containers, and at last Disks.
- In case your Utility Disk seems to be much like the one within the image above, then first scan the Macintosh HD – Knowledge Quantity.
- As soon as that’s carried out, scan your Container Disk.
- Lastly, scan your Apple SSD Disk. It’s doable that yours says Apple HDD as an alternative.
Disk Utility will scan and restore all the issues it finds. If the app can’t restore any issues. Now you’re prepared to put in macOS Massive Sur.