In a shock transfer this previous March, Apple acquired the extremely well-liked weather app and API provider Dark Sky. After an extended wait, Apple is at this time releasing the primary replace because it bought Darkish Sky and shut down the Android model of the app.
The November Dark Sky update (rolling out now) isn’t a serious one however it brings assist for some iOS 14 and watchOS 7 options. These embrace the brand new additional giant watch complication for the newest Apple Watch software program and a brand new location icon to alert customers when “Exact Location” is turned off.
Whereas Apple’s acquisition of Darkish Sky was a bummer for the Android group, it was additionally a serious hit to many third-party builders who used the Darkish Sky API. The Android version ceased working this past summer whereas Apple closed off the API to new clients on March 31. Nevertheless, the API is scheduled to maintain working for present third-party builders till the tip of 2021.
One other notable facet is many international locations are nonetheless ready on Apple to make Darkish Sky obtainable. Time will inform if we see that occur and after we would possibly get options like iOS 14 widget assist.
Darkish Sky model 6.8.5 full launch notes:
- Provides the additional giant watch complication with watchOS 7
- Improves location search with extra urged and related outcomes
- Provides a brand new location icon to point when Exact Location is disabled
- Fixes a problem that might trigger a reproduction forecast web page after shifting it from Current Searches to Saved
- Consists of stability and efficiency enhancements
Darkish Sky is on the market from the App Store for $3.99.
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.