WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Utilizing the precise apps can enhance your communication and improve effectivity in your farm.
Dennis Buckmaster, agricultural and organic engineering professor at Purdue College, shared suggestions through the “Digging into the Knowledge Pipeline” webinar sequence.
There are a number of free apps that may make your job simpler.
1. Trello: “Trello is a again workplace whiteboard of kinds,” Buckmaster defined. “It’s taking the place of the pocket book that you just may need as soon as stored on the dashboard of the mix or pickup truck — however it’s all the time within the flawed place.
“So, right here’s a solution to all the time have these items with you and a solution to share them with trusted folks.”
The app is organized in another way than different cloud storage methods, like Dropbox, that are based mostly on a file, folder structure.
With Trello, it begins out with “group.” The group is likely to be your self, otherwise you and your co-workers, for instance.
Underneath group, there are boards. You possibly can share totally different boards with totally different folks within the group.
Throughout the boards are lists. These can embody issues to do, gear, amenities and different lists. On every record are playing cards — which may embody textual content, photographs, information, spreadsheets, paperwork, hyperlinks and extra.
“It is a digital whiteboard that everyone has entry to on a regular basis,” Buckmaster stated.
2. GoogleSheets: GoogleSheets can be utilized for notes, tallies and simple arithmetic. It may be utilized in a browser, or in apps on gadgets.
“This big matrix of cells is simply ready so that you can put info into that you just may share or hold to your self — tax numbers, formulation, hyperlinks, feedback and notes,” Buckmaster stated.
“Sharing is essential. It’s essential that you just share correctly. You possibly can share it in order that no one can see it, you’ll be able to share it to a managed group by e-mail tackle, or you can also make it in order that anybody may learn or edit it.”
3. CONTxT: “The following device is an app particularly developed for agriculture,” Buckmaster stated. “It’s what we a name a progressive net app. It truly runs in a browser, however has the texture of an app put in in your machine.
“CONTxT in an app that was developed that can assist you file the data that you just’re going to want you had later, whenever you’re taking a look at yield maps or scouting reviews. It helps you keep in mind the belongings you should be being attentive to.
“The benefit is, as an alternative of being within the dashboard pocket book that will get misplaced or is within the flawed place, it will retailer knowledge in your GoogleSheet.”
4. MyMaps: “We most likely all have some expertise with GPS kind map software program on assorted platforms,” Buckmaster stated. “However this one is customizable.
“So, on maps, you’ll be able to put factors, polygraphs and notes and a number of layers of these. You possibly can management the privilege degree of sharing of these maps. You may share it comparatively freely, or it is likely to be one thing you solely need one or two folks to truly know the place sure issues are.”
5. Different smartphone options, together with Slack: Texting, e-mail, cameras and screenshots are all essential smartphone options used on farms.
“There are many different communication pathways you might use along with your smartphone,” Buckmaster stated. “You possibly can textual content and group textual content, or ship emails.
“There’s an app that’s been out for seven or eight years now known as Slack. A number of groups are beginning to use Slack as a result of it primarily turns into the archive of communication.”
• Google MyMaps: https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps